Friday, April 10, 2015

A Reunion with Boredom

In “ A Reunion with Boredom” Charles Simic (2014, p 375) says “ Being temporarily unable to use the technology we’ve grown dependent on to inform ourselves about the rest of the world, communicate with others, and pass the time, is a reminder of out alarming dependence on them.” Charles Simic was stating that we are so dependent on technology that we don’t know how to communicate with people around us and we don’t know what to do to keep ourselves entertained. With out the internet how do we keep ourselves from being bored? As I read this essay I sat outside away from all technology my phone, computer and music. I came to the realization that this was the first time that I have sat down and just read in a while without checking my phone, social media sites and music. With out all of these distractions I actually read the words and had an understanding of what I was reading.  While writing this I was easily distracted by my phone so it made it harder to focus .We are so dependent on social media that it’s getting some of us in trouble like with cyber bullying. If everyone took the time to put down their phones, computers and other electronic devices down and interacted with people around them, went outside, or read a book. They wouldn’t be criticizing everyone else because they were busy doing other things with their own life. People including myself need to put down these devices and be productive in other aspects of his or her life.


Cohen, S. (2014). A Reunion with Boredom By Charles Simic. In 50 essays A Portable Anthology (Fourth ed., pp. 375-376). Boston, MA: Bedford/ St. Martin's.

No comments:

Post a Comment